|Kelowna Rockets at Victoria Royals
TEAM NOTES PREPARED BY REGAN BARTEL OF AM 1150
- Tonight’s Preview: The Kelowna Rockets wrap up a four-game road trip tonight against the Victoria Royals. The team lost 2-1 in Kamloops, earned a 4-2 win Prince George before falling 4-3 in a shootout last night to the Royals. Pavel Novak, Sean Comrie and Ethan Ernst scored in the one-goal setback. It marked the first time this season the Rockets were unable to win a game after leading after two periods. The Rockets are now 6-0-0-1 in those situations. These two teams hook up again tomorrow before the Rockets make a return visit to the Island for a pair of games February 21st and 22nd. The Royals make two stops in Kelowna in November, with dates on the 6th and 20th. Following tonight’s game with the Royals, the Rockets return home to face the Prince George Cougars on Friday and the Royals Wednesday, November 6th. In November, the Rockets play 7 of 11 games on home ice.
Tale of the tape
Kelowna Rockets (7-4-1-1 – 16 points)
2nd in B.C. Division | 3rd in Western Conference
Power Play: 14/61 – 23.0% (3rd in WHL)
Penalty Kill: 44/56 – 78.6% (16th in WHL)
Last Ten: 5-4-0-1 Streak: 1-0-0-1
Victoria Royals (6-5-1-0 – 13 points)
4th in B.C. Division | T5th in Western Conference
Power Play: 8/46 – 17.4% (14th in WHL)
Penalty Kill: 39/47 – 83.0% (7th in WHL)
Last Ten: 5-4-1-0 Streak: 2-0-0-0
- Sign here please: Dillon Hamaliuk signed an entry-level contract with the San Jose Sharks October 25th. Hamaliuk was chosen in the 2nd round by the Sharks in June’s NHL Draft. The 19-year-old joins Nolan Foote, who was signed by Tampa Bay back on June 25th.
*pizza code only valid for West Kelowna and Kelowna locations
**puck can only be shipped within BC
- Nolan Named Captain: Nolan Foote was named the 25th captain in franchise history (Tacoma+Kelowna) October 18th. Foote joins brother Cal, who captained the Rockets during the 2017-2018 season. Both are first-round selections of the NHL’s Tampa Bay Lightning too. The Rockets selected Foote in the second round, 42nd overall in the 2015 WHL Bantam Draft. This is Foote’s fourth and likely final season in the WHL.
- Who’s Hot: Forward Pavel Novak has 6+8=14 in 13 games. Novak has six goals in his last ten games and has points in six of his previous nine games…Liam Kindree has 2+3=5 in his last six games…Kyle Topping has points in 7 of the 13 games he has played this season…Nolan Foote has six goals in his last seven games and has 12 multiple-goal games over his career…Nolan Foote leads the team in shots on goal with 41…Roman Basran has an impressive stat line with a goals-against-average of 2.24 and a save percentage of .927.
- Broadcasters Notebook: Sixteen-year-old rookie Elias Carmichael earned his first career point, an assist, in last night’s loss….Equipment Manager Chaydyn Johnson is a member of the off-ice staff for the World Under 17 Hockey Challenge in Medicine Hat and Swift Current, November 2nd to 9th. Johnson is behind the bench of Team Red ….Nolan Foote, Dillon Hamaliuk and Kaedan Korczak have been named to Team WHL for the upcoming Canada-Russia Series next month. Those three will compete in two games against the touring Russian Selects in games in Prince Albert and Saskatoon…Pavel Novak is a ‘C’ prospect for next June’s NHL Draft. Those rankings released by NHL Central Scouting. A ‘C’ prospect is regarded as a player selected between the 5th and 7th round. The 2020 NHL Entry Draft will be held in Montreal…The Rockets are 7-4-1-1 after 13 games this season. The team was 4-9-0-0 after 13 games last season ….Kyle Topping played in his 200th career WHL game October 4th in Prince George….Roman Basran has started in 11 of 13 games this season…The Rockets are 2-4-1-1 in 8 attempts against BC Division teams this season, with both wins coming against Prince George.
You can listen to the game on AM 1150, watch on WHL Live or follow the Rockets Twitter for live updates.