RECAP: Giants down Rockets with buzzer beater
With three seconds left in the third period, the Vancouver Giants scored to down the Kelowna Rockets 3-2 on Friday night at the Langley Events Centre in Langley, BC.
Scoreless until the second period, the two traded goals before the Rockets took the lead just past the midway point of the frame. Vancouver tied the game early in the third period. With five seconds to play in the game, top prospect Samuel Honzek scored the game-winning goal.
Resting veteran players Gabriel Szturc and Adam Kydd, affiliate players Landon Cowper and Kayden Longley drew into the Rockets lineup.
Marek Rocak stretched out a pass from his own zone to Andrew Cristall (39) working his way past the Giants defence and putting the Rockets on the board 4:31 into the second period. Skyler Bruce (14) scored 41 seconds later for Vancouver. Afiliate player Kayden Longley (1) skated from behind the net to the right side where the puck bounced right onto his stick for his first WHL goal in his seventh game with the Rockets.
Samuel Honzek (22) capitalized on the power play to tie the game 4:44 into the third period. Ty Hurley was given a five minute major and a game misconduct for charging at 6:28, the Rockets were able to kill off the ensuing power play. Carson Golder and Damian Palmieri dropped the gloves with ten seconds to play in the game. With time ticking away, Ty Thorpe dished the puck from the left corner to an unguarded Honzek (23) in the right faceoff circle, who beat Talyn Boyko with three seconds left on the clock.
- Talyn Boyko made 17 saves on 20 shots
- Samuel Honzek was the games first star, Andrew Cristall was the second and Brett Mirwald was the third star of the night
- Kelowna was 0/2 on the power play, while Vancouver was 1/2 with the man advantage.
- The Rockets record is now 26-37-4-0
Kelowna will wrap up their regular-season tomorrow night against the Vancouver Giants with their fan appreciation game.
- There will be live music from The Hip Replacements before and during the game
- It will also be a Fan First Menu night with $2 hot dogs and $5-$6 options from Blue Ribbon.
- The season-long Bighorn Moving and Storage jersey off-the-back winners will be drawn, learn more about how to enter here
- Kids tickets for the Rockets final home game of the season are on sale for $10.00 (plus taxes and fees).
Single-game tickets for all Rockets home games are on sale at Select Your Tickets. Tickets can be purchased online through www.selectyourtickets.com, at the Prospera Place box office, or by phone at 250-762-5050.